Studying in Online High School
How To Get A High School Diploma Online?
How to get a high school diploma online? A high school diploma is given to students who finish the required coursework and credits for a secondary school program—typically grades 9 through 12. Students who did not finish high school at a traditional institution may nonetheless be able to obtain an official high school diploma online. Programs that grant an online high school certificate frequently follow the national and state criteria for education.
Prospective students should confirm that the high school has the required state approvals by contacting the state education board in the state where the program is offered to learn more about the specific curriculum and graduation requirements for that program.
Online high school coursework is organized in a manner that is relatively comparable to that of a conventional high school curriculum. Students take classes in math, science, social studies, history, and foreign languages in addition to other disciplines. Additionally, a few schools offer advanced placement or dual credit courses. Most online high school programs omit physical education and other subjects that require students to be physically present in the classroom, including speech or debate classes.
How Much Does Online High School Cost?
The majority of online schools are public schools and are completely free of tuition, while some private online schools may charge fees. Public district schools and public charter schools both offer free online education. Online colleges frequently even reimburse students for their use of the internet and loaner computers.
How much does online high school cost? Approximately 375,000 K–12 students in the U.S. attended a free, statewide online school full-time in 2019–2020; this number increased to 656,000 in 2020–21. Even though the figures for 2022 have not yet been released, there are undoubtedly many families choosing tuition-free online education.
What Is the Best Online High School?
Your best chance in terms of credibility is programs authorized by organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE).
The following factors should be taken into account when evaluating an online high school program: the percentage of students who complete the program successfully, the simplicity of contacting the school and teachers, the flexibility and delivery of the classes, the availability of counseling and tutoring services, the availability of individualized programming, the availability of specialization (engineering, religion, the arts, etc.), the availability of dual credit options, and extracurricular activities or clubs. If you wonder what is the best online high school in the US, here are the following schools:
The Top Programs Online for High School Diplomas
Stanford University Online High School
Stanford OHS is a private independent school that runs under one of the most selective institutions in the country and provides a demanding college prep curriculum. Academically gifted students in grades 7 through 12 are served at Stanford OHS.
More than 65% of the professors at Stanford OHS have doctoral degrees in their areas, and the school offers over 24 post-AP and university-level courses. The average SAT score for the school’s students is 1500, and their average ACT composite score is 33.
- WASC and CAIS
- Full-time enrollment tuition fee: $22,850. (4–5 classes).
- Stanford OHS follows a regular academic calendar, those interested in applying must do so before the start of the fall semester.
GW Online High School
One of the first virtual high schools in the US to be linked with a top research institution is the private, college-preparatory George Washington University Online High School, which runs fully online.
The school requires 24 credits for the college preparatory diploma. GWUOHS uses K12 which is famous for its exacting, research-based design, captivating interactivity, simplicity of use, and seamless integration of online learning with excellent books and hands-on materials.
The special Journeys Symposium, which lasts for four years is attended by all students.
Students are motivated to enroll in AP courses and given the necessary tools to do so through programs and services including Summer AP boot camp, an AP Coordinator, and a faculty AP Mentor assigned to them. College planning and preparation, 1:1 Orientation, Peer Mentoring, dual college credit courses, and student interest organizations and activities are other programs and initiatives.
- Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Annual tuition is $12,000.
Programs Featured for Associate Degrees Online
University of Missouri High School: Mizzou K-12
The University of Missouri High School is a division of the university’s college of education, which also houses Mizzou K–12. As the only program in the nation funded by a consistently rated College of Education at a research-intensive flagship university, the school boasts a unique distinction.
There are two diploma program alternatives available to students: Standard Path (24 credits) and College-Prep Diploma Path (25 credits). There are AP, honors, special topic, and NCAA-eligible class options available.
- Certified by the NCA CASI and AdvancED
- Each class (half credit) costs $500.
- After course enrollment approval, students having a permanent Missouri address or US students enrolled in the University of Missouri High School Diploma Program may qualify for a 50% tuition scholarship rate.
Mother of Divine Grace
Mother of Divine Grace (MODG) is a private school established in 1995 and located in Ojai, California. The school’s mission is to give parents the knowledge, tools, and assistance they need to raise their children in the classical tradition. Catholic, classical education is provided at Mother of Divine Grace School.
Students can choose to enroll in dual enrollment courses, but they must do so through their neighborhood community college. MODG requires the completion of 22.5 credits to receive a diploma (225 units).
Depending on the degree of autonomous learning wanted, MODG provides families with three different program types: assisted, directed, and enhanced directed. In addition, Mother of Divine Grace provides apprenticeships, support for homeschooling, instructor services, and additional course attendance.
- WASC ACS
- If you choose one of the three payment options, tuition is $820; otherwise, a one-time payment of $720 is required. Be sure to thoroughly research the expenses as there are several additional fees (for things like various courses, Adobe labs, and support).
- To assist families with special needs children, MODG offers a Special Services Program in addition to their Teacher Review Program.
Popular Associate Degree Programs Online
University of Texas High School
High school students can take online courses through UTHS, an arm of the University of Texas. The school currently maintains partnerships with over 250 school districts worldwide and serves more than 300 full-time students. Both full-time and part-time students have constant access to their coursework.
The University of Texas at Austin’s online college program, University Extension, offers courses and exams in more than 60 academic areas. Qualified UTHS students have the advantage of choosing a dual-credit program through this program.
Additionally, students have the option of enrolling in online AP courses, NCAA-approved courses, or credit recovery courses.
Students often enroll in 6-7 classes per semester to fulfill the necessary 26 credits in four years and graduate on time because Texas requires students to obtain 26 credits to receive a high school diploma.
- Texas Board of Education
- Each class is $225. Annual cost is $2,700 for full-time attendance (12-semester courses).
- Many courses don’t require textbooks. Every course and exam is created by knowledgeable instructors and approved by the College Board and NCAA.
Oak Meadow School
A group of parents and educators in Brattleboro, Vermont, formed Oak Meadow School to rekindle their kids’ enthusiasm for learning.
For graduation, students must complete 22 credits, and Oak Meadow School offers a variety of ways to do so, some of which are exclusive to this institution.
By participating in extracurricular activities, students can earn up to one full elective credit per year through the Life Experience Elective Credit program. Through this program, students can earn up to four graduation credits.
Additionally, Oak Meadow School accepts dual enrollment music credits through Berklee College of Music Online, transfer credit from CYTOnline, and science credit for Cornell’s difficult home study course, Ornithology: Comprehensive Bird Biology.
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), NCA CASI, WASC, NAAS, SACS, and the New England Association for Schools and Colleges (NEASC) are among the organizations that have accredited schools.
- High Academic tuition costs $1,800 for a 10-month school year and $1,080 for a 5-month semester.
- Oak Meadow School provides a 10% discount for siblings or active military personnel. Parents may pay in full or with 40% down and the remaining balance in monthly installments.
- A lot of courses are NCAA-approved. The National Honor Society program at the school is also quite successful.
Top Associate Degree Programs Online
International Virtual Learning Academy
California-based International Virtual Learning Academy (IVLA) is an annual, private K–12 online school. All course material is offered online, maximizing flexibility for students and their families. Students may enroll and start courses at any time.
The six alternative curriculum options—Accelerate, Alpha Omega’s Ignitia, Apex Learning, GradPoint, Odesseyware, or Plato Learning—and the self-paced courses support a variety of learning environments. Standard, College Prep, Honors, STEM, and Career are among the five graduation options the institution offers. Additionally, the school offers AP and Honors classes.
For extracurricular activities or life experiences, a maximum of two credits will be granted.
- The annual tuition is $3,779 and there is a $150 registration fee.
- Military families can receive a 10% discount, and there are 10% multi-student discounts available (only one discount per family). Payment options include three installments, ten monthly payments, and five-semester payments. For each AP and Honors course, add $75 more.
- Adult learners are welcome. Many of the International Virtual Learning Academy’s core courses have NCAA approval.
Laurel Springs School
A private online school with a focus on college preparation and a wide range of academic options is called Laurel Springs School. The University of California has recognized courses at Laurel Springs School since 1998 for transfer credit.
A variety of asynchronous courses are used by Laurel Springs School to give teaching. Each student’s progress may be viewed online at any time thanks to the dynamic grade book, which also stores old quizzes and examinations.
The 9–12 grade Upper School at Laurel Springs School offers a distinctive selection of core and optional courses. With more than 25 electives offered, students are encouraged to customize their education outside of core classes.
A Gifted and Talented Academy is another feature of the online high school at Laurel Springs School that serves kids with special learning requirements. Additionally, the school features AP subjects and a National Honor Society branch (NHS).
For Laurel Springs’ regular graduation, 23.5 credits are needed.
- SACS CASI, AdvancED, and WASC
- Courses cost $990 for a full year or $690 for a semester. For grades 9 through 11, the tuition fee covers complete enrollment, all required textbooks, syllabi, instructor services, semester evaluation, transcript, learning styles profile, and diagnostic testing.
- A 10% off for military families and those with multiple students enrolled in the school.
- The website advises parents to inform the admissions coordinator and school counselor if they anticipate their kid may apply to a University of California college after enrolling at Laurel Springs School.
Best Associate Degree Programs Online
Christa McAuliffe Academy School of Arts & Sciences
Christa McAuliffe Academy School of Arts and Sciences (CMASAS) honors Christa McAuliffe by educating the following generation of leaders, scientists, philosophers, artists, and others to be fully prepared for the dynamic world of the 21st Century. The Lake Oswego, Oregon-based CMASAS began operations in July 2009.
Current brain and educational research are used to inform the curriculum and instructional strategies used by CMASAS, which promotes the principle of customized education. Per student objectives, the academy also provides conventional, college prep, and career prep high school graduation alternatives.
A worldwide adventure program, honors and AP classes, adult high school graduation, service promotion, and other activities are also available. Students must obtain 24 credits to receive graduation.
Asynchronous instruction is offered year-round, and teachers and educational facilitators are available for live contact and support. The online classroom has designated periods each week for a discussion with the instructors, who are also reachable by appointment.
- NCAA and AdvancED/NWAC
- Tuition may be paid annually or by semester. High school students pay between $5,495 and $8,495 in tuition per year. The cost of tuition for one semester is $3,495–3,995. A $150 registration fee for semester enrollment and a $25 registration fee are required.
- The school has a Family, Military, and Friends Saver Plan. Your family will earn a 10% tuition discount for new, subsequent students when two or more members of your immediate family enroll full-time at CMASAS (s). A 10% reduction in tuition is available for military families. Regardless of the number of family members enrolled, families are automatically eligible. All self-paid enrollments for military dependents are eligible for a discount.
International Connections Academy
International Connections Academy is an online college that educates students from all over the world. It was established in 2001 and has its main office in Columbia, Maryland. This institution has won multiple honors in the area of educational technology, including the Visionary Award in 2014 for its education management system and the Cool Tool Finalist Award from EdTech in 2015 for IVA’s Virtual Music Tools.
In addition, the school has received ComputED Gazette’s Education Software Review Awards (EDDIE and BESSIE), as well as CODiE Awards from the Software Information Industry Association.
Through ICA’s College Acceleration program, students have the option of enrolling in dual enrollment programs, honors, and AP courses, or both. Students can earn both a high school diploma and an associate degree simultaneously.
According to the school profile, the average ACT composite score for students is 25, and their average combined SAT score is 1159.
- MSACS, AdvancED, and NCAA-Approved
- Tuition for upper school is $6,880 per year (8% off if paid in whole for the academic year). There are additional reductions available, as well as monthly payment plans with 0% financing. The cost of tuition includes all textbooks.
- There are some discounts available for siblings, military-dependent children, early enrollment, or early choice.
Why Online High School Is Better?
Why online high school is better? For many students, online education is superior to regular classroom instruction and can even offer chances that aren’t possible through conventional schooling.
Benefits of this sort of education include flexibility based on your learning preferences and lifestyle, a pleasant workspace, and the opportunity to pick up extra skills that will be beneficial outside of the classroom.
Let’s examine five of the numerous advantages of online education.
Consider Your Learning Style When Learning
You, the student, decide how you want to learn online, and it can be readily customized to suit your preferences. Some students find the classroom to be a barrier to learning, whether it be because they prefer to read the book independently or can’t come during regular class times.
Online education can offer the flexibility needed to get around the difficulties that traditional learning models may not be the best match for specific individuals for a variety of reasons.
Put Your Flexibility to Good Use
Online education provides unrivaled flexibility that allows for a customized experience. You can learn at your own pace and don’t have to attend live classes, so you can play to your strengths. Do you prefer to begin your “school day” at 11 PM since you are a night owl?
During your lunch break at work, you might log on to interact with your teacher, and you might finish your assignment from a coffee shop. Online high school education may accompany you wherever you go and whatever you need or want to do.
Experience a Comfortable Setting
A regular school can be quite unsettling for certain adolescents, leading to social anxiety, behavioral challenges, and mental health problems. Why not eliminate the obstacles while maintaining the educational material with online classes? Stay at home and relax while pursuing your educational objectives.
Select a Program of Study that Suits Your Lifestyle
Perhaps you simply only have one course per semester to supplement your in-person coursework at a traditional college. Perhaps you’d prefer to spend the summer working for your high school diploma. It’s possible that you struggle more in arithmetic and may need to spend some more time on it.
Online education can assist you in finishing your degree, no matter where you are in the process. You never have to go it alone, even if you are a self-directed learner.
Develop Practical Skills for the Future
Online learning can position you for success if you plan to attend college after finishing your high school studies. Many institutions offer online degrees, and even if you decide to attend classes in a traditional classroom, you’ll have developed your self-motivation and focus skills early on.
Attending online high school could be more beneficial to some. If you are interested to study in an online high school, AdmissionSight can help you look through your options for high school or college admissions. AdmissionSight has assisted students in admissions and how to boost their application to the institution of their choice. Book an initial consultation to discuss your strategies further.