Yale Supplemental Essays 2022-2023
When it comes to applying to the top schools in the country, your application is vitally important. In order to give yourself the best chance of gaining admission, you need to make sure all aspects of your application are top notch. In this post, we’re going to do a deep dive into how to write Yale supplemental essays, and everything you need to keep in mind as you write.
Yale uses the common app, and this means that you will be asked to answer essay questions contained in the common app. But like many top schools, Yale also requires that you complete a short activity-based essay as well as an additional essay about your personal or intellectual growth. The Yale supplemental essays 2022-2023 allow applicants a certain amount of freedom when responding to supplemental essay topics, but we’re going to look at each essay prompt and discuss the best way to respond to each topic.
So, let’s start by looking at each supplemental essay prompt, and then we will discuss how to approach each one individually.
Yale supplemental essays 2022-2023
The first essay section of Yale supplemental essays 2022-2023 is a series of short essays. You must answer all of the prompts in the first two sections, but you will choose one longer essay to write.
- Students at Yale have time to explore their academic interests before committing to one or more major fields of study. Many students either modify their original academic direction or change their minds entirely. As of this moment, what academic areas seem to fit your interests or goals most comfortably? Please indicate up to three from the list provided.
- Tell us about a topic or idea that excites you and is related to one or more academic areas you selected above. Why are you drawn to it? (200 words or fewer)
- What is it about Yale that has led you to apply? (125 words or fewer)
So, as you can see, this first part of the Yale supplemental essays 2022 focuses on your plans once you arrive at Yale. As stated in the first prompt, this isn’t about committing to an academic major before you are even accepted. This is about gauging your interests and why they are significant to you. These prompts allow you to demonstrate your intellectual curiosity as well as your love of learning, which are both qualities Yale wants to see.
The next section requires that you answer briefly, and this can be a challenge on its own. Yale’s supplemental essay word limit is fairly strict, and this is because being concise is part of the challenge. Let’s look at the short answer section.
- What inspires you?
- Yale’s residential colleges regularly host conversations with guests representing a wide range of experiences and accomplishments. What person, past or present, would you invite to speak? What would you ask them to discuss?
- You are teaching a new Yale course. What is it called?
- What is something about you that is not included anywhere else in your application?
The word limit for these prompts is two-hundred characters, not words, so you will need to be very frugal with how much you write. The purpose of this section is to get a better idea of your personality and your motivation. Again, there are no “right” answers to these questions, so just try to be creative and honest in your responses.
How to write Yale supplemental essays?
The final section of Yale supplemental essays 2022-2023 allows you to write a bit more, but the Yale supplemental essay word limit is capped at four-hundred words or less.
For the longer essay prompts, you will choose one to respond to:
1. Yale carries out its mission“through the free exchange of ideas in an ethical, interdependent, and diverse community.” Reflect on a time when you exchanged ideas about an important issue with someone holding an opposing view. How did the experience lead you either to change your opinion or to sharpen your reasons for holding onto it?
Let’s look at the prompts individually. The first one is similar to prompts you may have seen on other applications, and it asks you to reflect on your experiences of diversity, and how you reacted. This allows you to demonstrate your intellectual curiosity because it shows that you actively engage with people who hold different views or come from different backgrounds. Schools like Yale want to welcome students who have an open mind towards diversity, but they also want to know that you have your own convictions. That’s why this prompt allows you to describe whether you have changed your opinion or if the experience only strengthened your previously held opinion or value.
2. Reflect on a time when you have worked to enhance a community to which you feel connected. Why have these efforts been meaningful to you? You may define community however you like.
This prompt lets you showcase your leadership skills by asking you to reflect on your community service and how it has affected you. The fun part of this prompt is that it is fairly broad in scope. As Yale has stated, you are permitted to define community however you like. So, you may have rallied your town to save the community center, or you may have taken a leadership role in a community of people who share something in common. Most of all, this is your chance to show Yale that you are committed to being a strong a confident leader, and you will bring that quality with you to Yale.
At AdmissionSight, our goal is to help you with every step of the college admissions process. The Yale supplemental essays 2022 can seem daunting at first, but our experience and expertise will help you navigate the entire process with confidence. Hopefully, this guide to the Yale supplemental essays 2022-2023 has been helpful, but if you want more information about how AdmissionSight can help you realize your dreams, set up your free consultation today.