Columbia Supplemental Essays 2022-2023
When it comes to applying to the top schools in the country, your application is vitally important. In order to give yourself the best chance of gaining admission, you need to make sure all aspects of your application are top-notch. In this post, we’re going to do a deep dive into how to write Columbia supplemental essays and everything you need to keep in mind as you write.
Columbia uses the common app, and this means that you will be asked to answer essay questions contained in the common app. But like many top schools, Columbia also requires you to complete a short activity-based essay and an additional essay about your personal or intellectual growth. The Columbia supplemental essays 2022-2023 allow applicants a certain amount of freedom when choosing their supplemental essay topic. Still, we’re going to look at each essay prompt and discuss the best way to respond to each topic.
So, let’s start by looking at each supplemental essay prompt, and then we will discuss how to approach each one individually.
Columbia supplemental essays 2022-2023
When it comes to responding to the Columbia supplemental essays 2022-2023, there are several important factors to keep in mind. Columbia asks you to first respond to a series of list-based questions before you move on to the short answer questions. Let’s take a look at the list of list-based questions first.
For the following questions, we ask that you list each individual response using commas or semicolons; the items do not have to be numbered or in any specific order.
No explanatory text or formatting is needed. (For example, it is not necessary to italicize or underline titles of books or other publications. No author names, subtitles or explanatory remarks are needed.)
- List the titles of the books, essays, poetry, short stories or plays you read outside of academic courses that you enjoyed most during secondary/high school. (75 words or fewer)
- We’re interested in learning about some of the ways that you explore your interests. List some resources and outlets that you enjoy, including but not limited to websites, publications, journals, podcasts, social media accounts, lectures, museums, movies, music, or other content with which you regularly engage. (125 words or fewer)
As you can see, when it comes to answering the Columbia supplementary essays 2022, you don’t have a lot of room to work with. These first two prompts are meant to be lists only. No further explanation is required. Just be honest and choose the books or resources that really made a difference in your life.
How to write Columbia supplemental essays?
When it comes to how to write Columbia supplemental essays, it’s important to keep in mind that Columbia wants to see your intellectual curiosity shine through. Let’s take a look at the short answer questions and analyze them one at a time.
- A hallmark of the Columbia experience is being able to learn and thrive in an equitable and inclusive community with a wide range of perspectives. Tell us about an aspect of your own perspective, viewpoint or lived experience that is important to you, and describe how it has shaped the way you would learn from and contribute to Columbia’s diverse and collaborative community. (200 words or fewer)
This question is fairly broad, and it asks you to do a lot with two-hundred words. The Columbia supplemental essay word limit isn’t absolute, but you should try to stick to it as closely as possible.
As with many essay questions, this one has two parts. The first part asks you to explain your personal perspective, but the second part asks you to apply this perspective to the ways in which it might contribute to Columbia’s culture, specifically.
Columbia recognizes that part of being a well-rounded person means having your worldview challenged, but what they really want to see is how you have been able to approach this challenge, and how you can use this information in the future. Have you had conflicts that required specific solutions? If so, go into detail about the conflict and solution.
The next prompt asks you to explain why, specifically, you want to attend Columbia University.
- Why are you interested in attending Columbia University? We encourage you to consider the aspect(s) that you find unique and compelling about Columbia. (200 words or fewer)
This question requires that you do some research about Columbia and what you think it has to offer you. Essentially, why do you want to go to Columbia rather than another prestigious school?
- Please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the areas of study that you noted in the application. (200 words or fewer)
Like the first prompt, this one asks that you reflect on what has led you to your chosen field of study. The Columbia supplementary essays 2022-2023 are focused on the events or experiences in your life that defined your path, and for this prompt you need to use your response to show that your commitment to learning and intellectual curiosity runs deeply.
- In Columbia’s admissions process, we value who you are as a unique individual, distinct from your goals and achievements. In the last words of this writing supplement, we would like you to reflect on a source of happiness. Help us get to know you further by describing the first thing that comes to mind when you consider what simply brings you joy. (35 words or fewer)
You may have noticed that many schools are now interested in your happiness. They want to know what brings you joy because they’ve realized that being successful academically is about more than studying hard. The things that bring you joy are likely the things that will help define your path in education and in life. That’s why it’s so important to use this space wisely.
Columbia probably doesn’t want to hear that the thing that brings you the greatest joy in life is studying for finals. And they probably won’t believe you if you say that.
This is the space where you can open up about what truly gives your life meaning, and how you can apply it to the values you hold as a person. Does music bring you happiness? If so, why specifically. Maybe you love nature, and it brings you a sense of peace.
Again, there is no “right” way to answer this question or any of these questions, so honesty and enthusiasm are always the best places to start. When you respond to the Columbia supplementary essays 2022-2023, keep in mind that Columbia wants interesting and engaged students who bring honor and integrity to everything they do.
At AdmissionSight, our goal is to help you with every step of the college admissions process. The Columbia supplemental essays 2022 can seem daunting at first, but our experience and expertise will help you navigate the entire process with confidence.
Hopefully, this guide to the Columbia supplemental essays 2022-2023 has been helpful, but if you want more information about how AdmissionSight can help you realize your dreams, set up your free consultation today.