UCLA’s Cheerleading Team
Welcome to the world of UCLA’s cheerleading team, a vibrant and dynamic group that embodies the spirit and energy of one of the nation’s most prestigious universities. As they are officially known, the UCLA Spirit Squad is more than just a cheerleading team; they symbolize unity, pride, and excellence.
Comprising talented students from diverse backgrounds, the Spirit Squad plays a vital role in fostering school spirit, supporting athletic teams, and engaging with the community. Whether you’re a UCLA student, an alumni, or simply a fan of college sports, the story of UCLA’s cheerleading team is one that resonates with passion, dedication, and a commitment to excellence.
This article will take you on a journey through the history, mission, and values of UCLA’s cheerleading team.
What is the UCLA cheerleading team called?
What is the name of the cheerleading team at UCLA? As UCLA ambassadors, UCLA Spirit Squad, the official UCLA cheerleading team, is the group that performs at important community outreach, campus, alumni, media, and sporting events.
They reflect the spirit and tradition of the institution that is ranked number one among public universities in the United States.
The UCLA Spirit Squad consists of more than forty student-athletes, each of whom gives unpaid volunteer service of fifteen to twenty hours a week to the team’s practices, workouts, and performances on game days.
Squad members sometimes find that they are unable to find paid jobs or internships that would assist them in covering the price of their education as well as their living expenses since their schedules are disrupted.
Hence, Scholarship donations have a direct influence on each individual member of the Squad by enabling them to concentrate on their academic and extracurricular responsibilities while receiving additional financial help.
The history of UCLA’s cheerleading team is a rich tapestry that reflects the growth and evolution of the university itself. Founded in the early 1960s, the UCLA Spirit Squad began as a small group of enthusiastic students cheering for the Bruins’ athletic teams.
Over the years, the team expanded and diversified, incorporating various cheerleading styles, dance routines, and even a mascot to represent the university’s unique identity. The Spirit Squad’s performances became a staple at UCLA games, and their presence was felt not only on the field but also in the broader community.
They participated in charity events, supported local causes, and became ambassadors for the university. The historical journey of UCLA’s cheerleading team is a testament to the power of teamwork, creativity, and a relentless pursuit of excellence.
It’s a story that continues to inspire and shape the future of cheerleading at UCLA and beyond.
Mission and Values
At the core of UCLA’s cheerleading team lies a set of values that guide their actions and define their identity. The UCLA Spirit Squad’s mission is to promote school spirit, enhance the game-day experience, and foster a sense of community both within and outside the university.
They strive to be inclusive, welcoming members from various backgrounds and skill levels, and they work diligently to represent UCLA with integrity and professionalism. The Spirit Squad’s values extend beyond cheerleading; they are committed to academic excellence, personal growth, and social responsibility.
They engage in community service, mentorship programs, and leadership development, embodying the holistic approach to education that UCLA champions. The mission and values of UCLA’s cheerleading team are a reflection of the broader ethos of the university, emphasizing collaboration, diversity, and a commitment to making a positive impact.
It’s a philosophy that resonates with students, faculty, and fans alike, making the Spirit Squad an integral part of the UCLA experience.
What are UCLA Spirit Squad benefits?
What are the benefits a member can have in joining the UCLA cheerleading team? Below is the list of benefits of joining UCLA Spirit Squad:
- Marketing, nutrition, media relations, resume development, public speaking, and other job preparation programs are available.
- Nike sponsors us, so all Squad members get warm-ups, training clothing, shoes, duffel bags, and backpacks.
- Strength training can assist your body in meeting the pressures it will experience throughout the year.
- Away PAC-12 football games, Bowl games, and post-season men’s and women’s basketball tournaments are all possible.
- Free tickets to home football, basketball, and Olympic games.
What are UCLA Spirit Squad qualifications?
What are the qualifications one must meet in order to audition for the UCLA cheerleading team? Below is the list of qualifications upon auditioning UCLA cheerleading team:
- Admissions documentation from UCLA (Visit Admissions Process and Deadline)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher as a current UCLA student.
- UCLA student who is not on disciplinary probation.
- Sufficient physical fitness, strength, and athletic ability to participate in the activities outlined below.
- Candidates selected for the Spirit Squad must maintain their dancing, stunt, and tumbling abilities throughout the summer and season.
- Health/hospitalization insurance in an amount similar to the University’s student insurance program’s minimum coverage.
What are the composition and techniques required to join UCLA Spirit Squad?
If you want to join the UCLA cheerleading team, what sort of composition and techniques do you need to know? The cheerleading team that represents UCLA in an official capacity is known as the UCLA Spirit Squad.
During the course of the season, the squad gives performances and travels in order to assist the UCLA Athletic Department. Even returning members are required to try out for the squad each year, and there is no assurance that they will be selected.
They have a team that consists of up to 20 people, and it could perform as a coed-style base, an all-girl-style base, and/or a flyer. Members of the squad demonstrate a variety of talents, including feats at the collegiate level, baskets, and pyramids.
When it comes to running tumbling, they demand that you have a standing back handspring, a standing tuck, and a standing back handspring sequence as a minimum. It is preferable to perform a standing back handspring into a tuck.
During football and basketball games, the Spirit Squad performs their routines to music performed by the UCLA Bruin Marching Band as well as recorded music.
What are the time commitments in joining UCLA Spirit Squad?
When someone joins the UCLA cheerleading team, what kind of time commitment is expected of them? The following is a list of commitments that must be made in order to join the UCLA cheerleading team. They are broken up into three parts: rehearsals, performances, and the spring and summer seasons.
- Practices are held two to three days per week once school begins for the autumn quarter.
- Squad members must find two more times each week to maintain their separate routines.
- TRX and cardio are common components of the trainer’s sessions. Rehearsals are held with the coach, and they consist of studying and reviewing game content.
Beginning in the Spring Quarter immediately following the conclusion of tryouts, the UCLA cheerleading team performs at a variety of events throughout the year, including those centered on athletics, community outreach, campus, alumni, media, and community events. This group gives performances at:
- Every home and away football game
- All men’s and women’s basketball home and away games
- Bruin Day, Volunteer Day, class appearances, grand openings, award ceremonies, and other UCLA campus festivities.
- Seasonal kick-offs, banquets, scholarship presentations, and other alumni activities.
- TV promotions, sponsored promotions, advertisements, picture sessions, and other media events.
- Appearances at community outreach events
- Birthday parties, marriages, bar/bat mitzvahs, and other UCLA community events
Spring and Summer
- During the spring quarter, the squad will practice two to three evenings each week. Members of the squad will practice partner stunting, tumbling, and material for forthcoming events and football games.
- The team is off for the month of July.
- In August, the entire team is expected to attend a Skills Training Camp.
What to expect on UCLA Spirit Squad Audition Day?
What can you anticipate at the UCLA Spirit Squad audition day? Here are the things to expect during Audition Day of the UCLA cheerleading team as listed by the official members of the team itself:
- Female/Male couples perform the cheer clinic-taught Fight Song.
- Candidates might choose to enter with running tumbling or running in and executing standing tumbling.
- Candidates will perform two sets of pair stunting, each with two stunts.
- Candidates will participate in a simulation of a game day situation, which will include a basic single stunt with a dismount.
- A sequence of kicks — 5 kicks on each side — for female applicants.
- Each candidate will take part in a group interview and will present a personal statement (45 seconds). During each interview, two to three questions are asked.
What to wear during Audition Day?
What should you wear on the day of the audition? Unsure what to wear?
Here are some suggestions listed by the official members of the UCLA cheerleading team so you can be at your best self during audition day:
- Stunting requires white sports shoes with shoelaces tucked in (shoes will not be worn during the gymnastics portion of the audition)
- The candidate’s hair should be out of his or her face, but not in a ponytail.
- Make-up for the stage/game/TV
- Bloomers/briefs and appropriate bras or athletic bras
- No jewelry or body piercings are permitted, and tattoos must be covered.
- No ribbons or bows.
- Blue or black shorts
- Clean T-shirt
- Ankle socks (small)
- White athletic sneakers with tucked-in shoelaces (shoes will not be worn during the gymnastics portion of the audition)
- Clean, short hair
- No jewelry or body piercings are permitted, and tattoos must be covered.
What Role Does the Spirit Squad Play at UCLA?
The role of UCLA’s cheerleading team, the UCLA Spirit Squad, extends far beyond the sidelines of athletic events. They are the heartbeat of the university, infusing energy, enthusiasm, and pride into every aspect of campus life.
Whether it’s enhancing school spirit, supporting athletic teams, or participating in charitable activities, UCLA’s cheerleading team plays a multifaceted role that enriches the university experience for students, faculty, alumni, and fans alike.
Enhancing School Spirit and Unity
One of the primary missions of UCLA’s cheerleading team is to enhance school spirit and unity. Through their performances, appearances, and interactions with the community, the Spirit Squad fosters a sense of belonging and pride that transcends individual differences.
They create a vibrant and inclusive atmosphere that celebrates the diversity and uniqueness of the UCLA community. Whether it’s rallying students at pep rallies, leading cheers at games, or participating in university events, the Spirit Squad’s presence is a unifying force that brings people together.
Their energy and passion are contagious, inspiring others to embrace the Bruin spirit and feel connected to the larger UCLA family.
Supporting Athletic Teams
Supporting athletic teams is a fundamental aspect of UCLA’s cheerleading team’s role. The Spirit Squad is a constant presence at games, cheering on the Bruins with unwavering enthusiasm and dedication.
Their cheers, dances, and routines are meticulously crafted to motivate the players and energize the crowd. They work closely with the athletic department, coaches, and players to create a cohesive game-day experience that enhances the competitive atmosphere.
The Spirit Squad’s support extends beyond the games, as they also engage with athletes, celebrate their achievements, and promote sportsmanship and camaraderie. The relationship between UCLA’s cheerleading team and the athletic teams is symbiotic, each enhancing the other’s success and contributing to the rich tradition of excellence at UCLA.
Community Outreach and Charitable Activities
Community outreach and charitable activities are integral to the mission of UCLA’s cheerleading team. The Spirit Squad is committed to giving back to the community and making a positive impact beyond the university’s walls.
They participate in various charitable events, volunteer their time, and use their platform to raise awareness for important causes. Whether it’s visiting children’s hospitals, supporting local schools, or participating in fundraisers, the Spirit Squad’s efforts are guided by a genuine desire to make a difference.
Their community engagement reflects the broader values of UCLA, emphasizing empathy, compassion, and social responsibility. UCLA’s cheerleading team’s commitment to community outreach is a testament to their character and the meaningful role they play in enriching the lives of others.
It’s a legacy that continues to inspire and resonate with those who are fortunate enough to witness their work.
How Does the UCLA Spirit Squad Influence College Culture?
The influence of UCLA’s cheerleading team, the UCLA Spirit Squad, on college culture, is profound and multifaceted. They are not merely performers; they are leaders, role models, and ambassadors who shape the social fabric of the university.
Their impact is felt in classrooms, on the field, and in the community, making them an essential part of the UCLA identity.
Promoting Inclusivity and Diversity
Promoting inclusivity and diversity is at the heart of UCLA’s cheerleading team’s mission. The Spirit Squad is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels welcome, valued, and respected.
They actively seek members from various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, reflecting the rich diversity of the UCLA community. Their performances, events, and engagements are designed to celebrate differences and foster a sense of belonging.
By embracing inclusivity and diversity, UCLA’s cheerleading team sends a powerful message about the university’s values and sets an example for others to follow.
They are a beacon of unity and acceptance, inspiring others to see the strength in diversity and the beauty in inclusion.
Enhancing the College Experience
UCLA’s cheerleading team plays a significant role in enhancing the college experience for students, faculty, and visitors. The Spirit Squad’s presence at games, events, and activities adds excitement, energy, and a sense of tradition that enriches the UCLA experience.
They are a source of pride and inspiration, embodying the excellence, creativity, and passion that define the university. Their performances are not just entertainment; they are a manifestation of the Bruin spirit, a celebration of achievement, and a reminder of the joy and camaraderie that make college life so memorable.
The influence of UCLA’s cheerleading team on the college experience is profound, adding a unique dimension that resonates with people long after they leave the campus.
Building Lifelong Friendships and Connections
Beyond the cheers, routines, and performances, UCLA’s cheerleading team is a community that fosters lifelong friendships and connections. The bonds formed within the Spirit Squad are deep and enduring, built on shared experiences, challenges, and triumphs. Members support each other academically, personally, and professionally, creating a network of relationships that extend beyond their time at UCLA.
Alumni often remain connected, mentoring new members, attending events, and contributing to the ongoing success of the team. The friendships and connections built within UCLA’s cheerleading team are a testament to the power of teamwork, trust, and mutual respect.
They are a reminder that being part of the Spirit Squad is not just about cheering for the Bruins; it’s about being part of a family that lasts a lifetime.
Experience UCLA school spirit with UCLA Cheerleading
The goal of UCLA Spirit Squad, the official UCLA cheerleading team, is to unite current students, alums, and fans of the university in a shared feeling of school spirit on game days and beyond.
If getting into UCLA is one of your goals, you should seek the guidance of professionals who work in the subject of college admissions, such as those who work at AdmissionSight, in order to increase your chances of being accepted there.
AdmissionSight has become the most trusted name in the field of college admissions advice as a result of its more than a decade of expertise assisting students just like you in gaining admission to the colleges of their first and second preferences.
Please get in touch with us as soon as you can so that we can schedule an initial consultation that will be provided free of charge.